By Carleen Reilly
Guess what I found in our raised bed: a half-dozen large, ripe raspberries. And were they ever yummy! There are more to come, too!
MovingAhead. It was like old home week last night at the LTD Open House to review the options for all potential EmX Corridors, including our River Road Corridor. It was good to see so many of our neighbors, all diligently voting with their dots and taking time to submit comments about Transportation ideas.
If you weren’t able to attend the RR Corridor open house, additional open houses are available for you to participate in. ALL corridor options are available at all open houses. Here is a link to the MovingAhead website.
Or submit your comments on line: MovingAhead Online Open House
As one person essentially said to me, “Let’s just bite the bullet and install EmX to begin with; because, if we don’t, we will just have to go back and upgrade it in a few years. Let’s get the job done right the first time.”
Working Groups. The MovingAhead open house is a good foundation for the Transportation group as we hold our Neighborhood Planning Working Groups Thursday evening. (Details in calendar.) So many of our ideas about improving safety and reducing vehicle emissions will be addressed with the implementation of increased transit services.
The expectation is that a finalized list of goals in all five topic areas will be completed at this meeting and that we will review the many policies and actions Working Groups are proposing. We hope you can be there to advance our Neighborhood Plan activities to the next level.
WE CAN Eugene. Walkable Eugene Citizens Advisory Network is an ad hoc group interested in Housing and Transportation Activities. You can sign up for their e-mail list at this link.
They keep track of City Council meetings and agendas. WE CAN provides commentary about work on these housing and transportation in various governmental entities. I find their summaries helpful. I can e-mail you the full message if you are interested. Current info is about MovingAhead, Housing Tools and Strategies, Accessory Dwelling Units, Envision Eugene Technical Advisory Committee/Urban Reserves, Clear and Objective Standards, and RR/SC Neighborhood Plan.
Here is a tidbit from a recent e-mail:
Upcoming At City Council
Eugene City Council identified housing affordability as a key goal for 2018; and transportation remains an important focus. As they return from summer break, what is on the agenda related to housing and transportation for the fall?
- Monday, October 15th: Work session on Transportation System Development Charge Methodology, Transit Tomorrow Update
- Wednesday, October 31st: River Road/Santa Clara Neighborhood Plan Update [This seems to be advanced information that I haven’t seen before. I’ll keep an eye on this. Halloween might be a problematic date.]
- Monday, November 26th: Clear and Objective Housing Approval Criteria Work Session
- Monday, December 10th: Housing Tools and Strategies Work Session
- TUESDAY, September 27, 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. NP Working Groups, St. Matthew’s Episcopal Church, 4110 River Road in Santa Clara. Finalize a list of goals for each topic area. Bring homework from small groups to continue policy and action work.
- FRIDAY, September 28. Happy GOOD NEIGHBOR DAY! The holiday was first proclaimed by Pres. Jimmy Carter in 1978.
- SUNDAY, September 30, 10:00 to 2:00 Plastics round up. Is anyone planning for neighborhood collection rather than hundreds of vehicles showing up to drop off 3 boxes each? Lane County Waste Management is hosting a collection event at the Glenwood Transfer station, 3100 E 17th Ave., for a SPECIFIC list of household plastics that were dropped from local recycle programs. Go to: www.lanecounty.org/plasticsroundup to learn what is ACCEPTED and how materials must be PREPARED and SORTED for collection day.
- SUNDAY, October 7, RRCO Pancake Breakfast. Cancelled.
- SUNDAY, October 7, 7:00 – 9:00 p.m. Film Showing: Under the Bridge: The Criminalization of Homelessness. River Road Annex, 1055 River Road.
- WEDNESDAY, October 10, 4:00 to 6:00 p.m. Making it Happen! Open House. The Planning Division is hosting a project fair showcasing all ongoing Envision Eugene implementation projects. See how our neighborhood planning fits into the larger picture. Eugene Library, Bascom-Tykeson Room, 1st Floor.
- MONDAY, October 15, 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. Film Showing: Under the Bridge: The Criminalization of Homelessness. Emerald Park, Lake Drive.
- MONDAY, October 8, 7:00 p.m. River Road Community Organization, General Membership Meeting, River Road Annex, 1055 River Road. November Ballot Measures and other election items.
- TUESDAY, October 16, 6:00 – 8:00 p.m. Neighborhood Planning Community Advisory Committee. North Eugene High School Library.
Disclaimer: The RR CRG weekly messages are my personal views and interpretation of community events and neighborhood planning efforts. I am not a Board member of RRCO (River Road Community Organization); SCRRIPT (Santa Clara-River Road Implementation Planning Team) has transitioned leadership to the Community Advisory Committee (CAC); and I have never been a City employee.
Carleen Reilly has lived in the neighborhood for over 40 years. She served on the RRCO board of directors from 2007-2013, and has been involved over the years with the Joint Strategy Team (JuST), the Santa Clara-River Road Outreach and Learning project (SCRROL), and the Santa Clara-River Road Implementation Planning Team (SCRRIPT)
She publishes a weekly e-newsletter called “River Road Community Resource Group Newsletter” that focuses on land use, transportation, parks and open spaces, economic development, and Community interests as they are related to our Neighborhood Planning activities in conjunction with the Santa Clara neighborhood. If you would like to subscribe you can contact Carleen at: carleenr |at| gmail dot com.