By Carleen Reilly
Here’s just a few words on fences/walls/security. It may be that rich people are building fences to protect their property. Our neighbors have told me that they are more interested in building a strong social fabric and sense of community. They tell me that they are taking down fences, sharing the bounty of the soil, bearing the burdens of sorrow, and experiencing the ecstacy of joyous events together. I do hear that our neighbors are putting in security cameras and implementing other safety measures, like cutting back shrubs–leaving no place for criminals to hide, as recommended by the Eugene Police. Seems like that is smart security.
Renters’ Survey. Teresa Kennedy replied to my question about whether unincorporated people in our neighborhoods could partake in this survey. She said ‘absolutely.’ The costs of housing, both rental and home ownership, are prohibitive for many people in our community. Evictions from rental properties are rampant, so starting with this piece of the puzzle makes sense. I urge you to participate in this survey. The link to the survey is https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/PSRMFXD (English) and https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/PJNMKDQ (Spanish).
RRCO General Membership meeting. January 14 at 7:00 at the River Road Annex. Meeting agenda will focus on a few River Road transportation projects that are going on concurrently. They will work together to provide integrated solutions to problems we have long complained about. And Eug-Art404’s update of their activities in our neighborhood will tickle our creative juices.
- SATURDAY, January 12, 2019, 10:00 to Noon. Rasor Park Second Saturday work party. 729 River Road.
- MONDAY, January 14, 2019, 7:30 p.m. Eugene City Council. Selection of developer of RR Affordable Housing Project. Harris Hall.
- MONDAY, January 14, 2019, 7:00 p.m. RRCO General Membership meeting. River Road Corridor study, MovingAhead, and Santa Clara Transit Station; update on Eug-Art404. River Road Annex, 1055 River Road.
- TUESDAY, January 15, 2019, 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. Community Advisory Committee, North Eugene High School, Library.
- MONDAY, January 21, 2019, 7:00 p.m. RRCO Board meeting. River Road Annex.
- SUNDAY, January 27, 2019, 4:30-6:00 p.m. Lane Writers. Readings by local authors. River Road Annex.
- February/March, 2019, Neighborhood Planning Public Event. More info to come.
Disclaimer: The RR CRG weekly messages are my personal views and interpretation of community events and neighborhood planning efforts. I am not a Board member of RRCO (River Road Community Organization); SCRRIPT (Santa Clara-River Road Implementation Planning Team) has transitioned leadership to the Community Advisory Committee (CAC); and I have never been a City employee.
Carleen Reilly has lived in the neighborhood for over 40 years. She served on the RRCO board of directors from 2007-2013, and has been involved over the years with the Joint Strategy Team (JuST), the Santa Clara-River Road Outreach and Learning project (SCRROL), and the Santa Clara-River Road Implementation Planning Team (SCRRIPT)
She publishes a weekly e-newsletter called “River Road Community Resource Group Newsletter” that focuses on land use, transportation, parks and open spaces, economic development, and Community interests as they are related to our Neighborhood Planning activities in conjunction with the Santa Clara neighborhood. If you would like to subscribe you can contact Carleen at: carleenr |at| gmail dot com.